Friday, February 18, 2011

Holy Tantrums, Batman!

We are getting closer and closer to 2 as each day passes. This means that we are getting closer and closer to the terrible twos. I think people just tell moms that it is the terrible twos to make them think it will only last a year. I believe that it starts around 18 months. It tends to worsen around 13, and continues until they start college. :)

David has decided that throwing tantrums is the way to get things. Thank God we have not done this in public, but I am sure that my neighbors can hear the screaming. Here was how last night went for us:

On the car ride home:
Mommy: David, do you want to play outside when we get home?
David: (does sign for play and outside)
Mommy: Okay, we will go home, change your shoes and go play.
David: (smiles and does sign for shoes)

Upon arrival at home, I tell David that he has to come inside so that mommy can change and so that we can change his shoes. What does David do, scream bloody murder! I go inside and put my stuff down and go back out to the garage and nicely ask him to come inside. He screams. I tell him that I am sorry he is choosing to have a tantrum, but he has to change his shoes before we go play (I refuse to let him play in the muddy grass with good shoes on.). He screams more and throws himself on the floor. I tell him to let me know when he is ready to follow directions, and leave the garage door to the house open while I go in and pull something out for dinner. 20 minutes later, he enters the house to continue the tantrum in the laundry room. He kicked when I tries to change his shoes, so I take him some milk and animal crackers, feeling bad because at this point he has been screaming for 20 minutes.  We are well past playing outside - I will not cave to the demands of a toddler to play before we change shoes. I go about my business, noting the screaming stopped long enough for a sip of milk and then continued. 15 minutes later, he walked over to me, gave me a hug, signed sorry, and snuggled up next to me.

If this is a preview of the next 18 years, I am in trouble...

No comments:

Post a Comment