Friday, February 25, 2011

Crafty Snowday

We had another snow day today. Not a fan seeing as though I had a list of kids to meet with today, and a bunch of work to finish up my ISTEP prep (our state wide test that I coordinate for our building), but what are you going to do? David went to school today. It was PJ day and they were reading bed time stories. He loves stories, so he went. (Plus, mommy needed a mommy day since daddy is going to a bachelor party this weekend 3 hours away.)

After cleaning and doing some work, I decided that I was going to make my rag wreath. I had bought the fabric and form last weekend and I wanted to see how it would turn out. I had 1 yard of 4 different patterned fabrics, and 2 yards of white, and a 12 inch wreath form.


To start, I needed to make strips of fabric. Mine needed to be about 9 inches long, and I made them about an inch wide. The great thing about the fabric I picked was that it tore very easily. Took very little time to make my strips.



Then I started tying them on. This is when I was about 1/2 way done.


In a matter of about 2 hours from start to finish, I had a new door wreath!



Not bad for my first attempt. I needed to make my colored strips longer and the white ones shorter. My door is red, so I was afraid to have too much color. I also didn't need nearly as much fabric. I used less that 1/2 a yard of my patterned fabrics, and less than 1 yard of my white. Total cost for my project was about $20 and I still have fabric left over. Move over Martha Stewart!

3 comments:

  1. So cute! You know I love a good homemade wreath...

    Trying to figure out what my next one will be. The valentine's day one is still (shamefully) hanging on my door. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Turned out super cute.

    Trying to figure out my next one too but I think I can keep my current on up until at least the end of March so I've got some time.

    ReplyDelete