Monday, October 10, 2011

New Door Decoration

I decided to make something new for our door this fall. I wanted something different, and not round. So I headed off to the craft store for some inspiration. Here is what I came home with:



I found a plain wooden frame that I thought would be perfect with some burlap wrapped around it, so I bought a yard of that. You can't just have burlap, so I bought some fabric to make rosettes. I thought my rosettes might need a button center, so I got some buttons (turns out that they didn't). I also thought that I would make my rosettes replaceable, and bought some allegator clips. After I made them, I discovered that the clips were too big, so I didn't end up needing them either. Total cost was $7.

I started by cutting my burlap into 1 inch strips (I didn't actually measure, just eyeballed.). (Look here for a great step-by-step in cutting burlap in a straight line.) Then I started at one corner and worked my way around, attaching the burlap with my hand dandy hot glue gun. The corner were the hardest to get to lay flat, but I eventually made it work with minimal burns to my fingers.

1/2 way there

All done!

Then I started my rosettes. A Girl and a Glue Gun  has a great video to help you visualize this. Again, I managed to escape with minimal hot glue burns.



When it was all done, it looked like this


I really like the way it turned out, but don't know if I love it on my door. It still needs a ribbon or some burlap to hang it. I wish I had used a thiner and bigger frame, but hindsight is 20/20, right? It will probably end up on my door, or with a picture added and hung on the wall in my bedroom. For now (since my Halloween wreath is up), it is sitting on a shelve while I determine it's fate.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! It would look adorable as a picture frame too.

    And I'm totally stealing the rosettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cute, Angela. Love the fabrics and color palette!

    ReplyDelete