Monday, October 22, 2012

Spaghetti Casserole

Thanks to Stephanie at Plain Chicken, I have found so many new recipes to try. My last attempt at a new recipe was a huge hit, so I decided to try another. This did not disappoint! I did make a few tweaks based on what I had, but nothing major. Nate and I loved this, and it's even better for lunch the next day! I doubled the recipe and froze half of it. It was super easy to make, budget friendly, and *gasp* semi healthy.

1 box spaghetti of your choice
1/2 stick of butter (1 egg could be used instead of butter)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
1/2 lb Italian sausage
1/2 lb ground turkey
2 Tbsp dried minced onion flakes
1 Tbsp dried garlic
1 (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

*You could easily use all turkey or all sausage. I like the flavor of the sausage, but the health of the turkey, so I mixed.
Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly spray a pan with cooking spray.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions.  Drain.  Toss spaghetti with butter and parmesan cheese.  Place in pan.  Spread cottage cheese over spaghetti mixture.

Cook sausage and turkey, onion and garlic.  Drain.  Add sausage back to skillet and stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning.  Cook until thoroughly heated.  Spread over cottage cheese mixture.  Top with mozzarella cheese.

Bake for 25-30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment