Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Rememberance

"When a child looses his or her parent, they are called an orphan. When a spouse looses his or her partner, they are called a widow. When are parent looses a child, there isn't a word to describe them."

October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness month. It  was declared in 1988 by President Reagan.

This month is dedicated throughout the world to raising awareness of infant and pregnancy loss and to honouring and remembering babies and infants who died due to miscarriage, stillbirth, neonatal death, SIDS and all infant deaths. It's a month when we talk. Too many times a loss is pushed under the rug, forgotten by others.

October 15th is a day of remembrance. A day when women and couples across the nation, the world remember what was lost. A day when no one has to suffer in silence or alone. We honor our angels. We remember that they are always with us, watching from above.

Prior to my losses, I had no idea that a day like this existed. No idea that there was a month dedicated to educating people and raising awareness. I never imagined that anything could go wrong. I didn't know of anyone who had been through a loss, until I had mine. Then it became okay for others to talk to me and share. It's not something that anyone wants to go through. It's not something that you just forget.

If you know someone who has experienced a loss, hug them. Tell them know you remember. Cry with them, talk with them.

I am blessed. I am blessed to now have 2 healthy children. I am blessed to have been there for other friends who experienced a loss after I did. I may not know why God needed my babies back, but I am blessed to know that I have two special angels up in heaven watching over me and my family.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully put. I always think of our first as the angel who watches over her younger brothers and sister. Love, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweet babies have not been forgotten. Thinking of you and our other friends today. xo

    ReplyDelete