Monday, August 1, 2011

A new (school) year

It seems like just yesterday I was listening to "Happy Trails To You" ring through the hallways of school to usher the kids to the bus, followed by "Schools Out for Summer" to send the teachers on their way for a much needed summer vacation. This is a tradition started when our building opened. It sounds simple, but is something that we all look forward to during those long weeks in the winter.

This summer has been full of downs, and then ups. It started with a week to myself, a week that I needed. The 2010-2011 school year was hard on me. Not so much professionally, but personally. I needed some time for me. I am grateful and lucky to have had that time. My bosses are great people who helped to make sure that I got that off.

Then started my time as a stay at home mom with David for the rest of my summer vacation. I loved every day of it - the tantrums, the crying, the messes, and the hugs. We played with trains and in the water, watched movies and read books. I saw his speech come so far and know that I will never be able to say thank you enough to his therapist. We spent time with family and friends, and came up with fun games and activities to occupy our time.

And now our time comes to an end. I will miss being with my little man all day, but I love my job and I know that it makes me a better mom to be away from him. He loves school too, and I know that he misses his friends.

This school year will be one full of changes. Our principal moved on the the high school, and our assistant principal moved up to be our principal. Hopefully we will know who our new assistant principal will be soon. Leadership sets the tone for the building, and we have had some great leadership since we opened. I hope that doesn't change.

So, here ends my summer vacation and starts the 2011-2012 school year. Here is to hoping that this is a great year, professional, and personally.

2 comments:

  1. Happy first day back! I hope this is a great year for you in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your first day back is a great one! And seriously hoping for a GREAT year for you too. :)

    ReplyDelete