Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sprinkle Food

My mom and I threw my sister, Courtney, a sprinkle today. In case you don't know what that is, it's a baby shower for someone who already has a child and doesn't need all of the big stuff, just little things to celebrate baby. I wanted to make some special desserts, so I spent much time searching the internet for some easy desserts that would be perfect to celebrate a baby girl. I made 3 - but one came out of a box because I ran out of time, so I'll only count 2 and the punch.

I only managed to take 1 picture the entire time I was baking, and that was for the one that came out of the box. All well, David had a blast helping mommy cook.



I started by making Lemon Lime Cookie Balls. My inspiration came from here. I only made a couple of tweaks.
Lemon-Lime Cooke Ball Ingrediants
12 premade sugar cookies
1 brick (8oz)of cream cheese at room temperature
1 lime
1 lemon
1 bag white chocolate chips, or other coating chocolate

1. Start by taking your sugar cookies and putting them in your food processor. If you don't have one, borrow. I tried to do this with a rolling pin and Ziploc bag. Horrible fail. Crush until fine. Pour into mixing bowl.
2. Zest the lemon into the cookie mixture, then squeeze juice in. Repeat with lime.
3. Add cream cheese and mix well. Use a mixer to do this, wooden spoons may break, and I cannot be held responsible for that.
4. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a lined cookie sheet. You can add sticks if you would like at this point. Put into freezer for at least 1 hour.
5. While in the freezer, place 1/2 of your chocolate into a small crock pot on low. This is the best way to melt chocolate. Trust me, I have tried a million ways, and this rocks. Just before you are ready to use it, put the rest of your chocolate in.
6. Using a fork (or 2) roll each ball in the chocolate and place back on cookie sheet. When done, place back in freezer.

Done. Takes some time, but very easy to make, and very yummy! I added some colored sugar after I dip each one for some decoration. I think this made about 25 (I doubled the recipe and ended up with about 50.)

Next up were Oreo Cookie Balls. Same concept, different flavor.

Oreo Cookie Ball Ingrediants
1 package oreos
1 brick (8oz) cream cheese at room temperature
1 bag of chocolate chips or other coating chocolate

1. Start by taking your oreos and putting them in your food processor. Again, if you don't have one, borrow. I tried to do this with a rolling pin and Ziploc bag. Horrible fail. Crush until fine. Pour into mixing bowl.
2. Add cream cheese and mix well. Again, use a mixer to do this, wooden spoons may will break, and I cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a lined cookie sheet. You can add sticks if you would like at this point. Put into freezer for at least 1 hour.
4. While in the freezer, place 1/2 of your chocolate into a small crock pot on low. This is the best way to melt chocolate.
5. Using a fork (or 2) roll each ball in the chocolate and place back on cookie sheet. When done, place back in freezer.

Again, I added some decorations after dipping each ball. This should give you around 30. I doubled it and got just over 60.

Last up was my party punch. Easy recipe and I didn't need a printed copy to remember it while I was putting it together at the party. I started with this recipe, and tweaked from there.

Cranberry Party Punch Ingrediants
2 cans frozen lemonade mix
64 oz of cranberry juice
4 cans of ginger ale
2 pints of sherbet (mine was strawberry lemonade)

1. Prepare frozen lemonade according to directions on can. Pour into large punch bowl.
2. Add cranberry juice.
3. Just before serving, spoon sherbet into punch bowl and then add ginger ale. Enjoy!

It was a fun afternoon. Of course, no one took any pictures. Mom and I were too busy keep food out and helping guests. Lots of cute girly things were received. Baby Lyla is already so loved.

2 comments: