Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Special Date

David has entered a hitting mommy phase. Yes, only mommy. He is also in a throwing stage. Everything gets thrown, and if it's at someone, its me. Yesterday, I was hit 5 times and had 4 cars thrown at me. Not our best evening. He doesn't hit hard and he doesn't hit any of the kids at school. Only mommy. He does throw toys at school, but not at anyone, just throws them in the basket at clean-up time (my fault, I am always throwing his toys in the bins in an effort to clean more quickly). If I tell him to be gentle, he signs sorry and nicely runs his hand down my face. That is cute.

I think Nate gets a pass because he comes home later. David and I come home by about 3:30. While he plays, I pick up, cook dinner, and incessantly say "No" (No you can't hit the dog. Mommy does not like being hit with a car. No you can't play in the dog food. No we can't play outside, it's raining.) We also play together or read some books when he will allow it. It's hard to cook dinner with a toddler pulling on your leg to be picked up. By the time Nate gets home at 6:00, I have already fought with David to eat dinner, to not throw his food on the floor, and tried to get him cleaned up. When Daddy gets home, all of the hard stuff is done and he doesn't hear "No". David loves Nate. He asks where daddy is all of the time. He is so excited to see Nate when he gets home.

Today I decided that we were going to have a special date to try and make mommy fun again. I picked him up from school and took him to Starbucks. He thought he was the coolest thing since sliced bread when we walked in. He picked out his chocolate milk, mommy got her Chi Tea, and we both got Petite Treats. David got a Carrot Cake Cup Cake and mommy got the Peanut Butter Cup Cake. I let David pick a place to eat and he jumped right up in the chair. He smiled and waved at everyone who walked by and loved his treat. I didn't have to say "No" once. In fact, I got hugs and kisses and tons of smiles. I called it a success.


It was a short lived success. As soon as we got into the car, I got hit, again. Sigh...I am so over this phase. I know he loves me, and I am glad he only hits me. Hopefully I can be the fun parent again next week while he is home with me on spring break.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable picture! And fun date with your little guy. Noah and I do "dates" all the time :) I love them! Don't worry about the hitting. I've been dealing with that since about 14 months. Ugh! Hope it gets better ;)

    ReplyDelete