Monday, June 23, 2014

4th of July Shirt

This year I decided that I wanted to make 4th of July shirts for the kids. I have always bought shirts or a outfit, and my kids have always been cute for the big day




See what I mean. :)

But this year, I wanted to save some money and make something cute, so I took to Pinterest. I found this and decided that it was just what I was looking for - cheap, easy, and I could add my own touch.

I started with grey t-shirts, mostly because I had them. I bought acrylic paint at the craft store in red, white, and blue. Probably should have bought fabric paint. Live and learn.


 My secret addition to the shirts - glow in the dark paint!


The stamp is made with pipe cleaners. I used white so I could more easily see where the paint was on my stamp.

To make the stamp, take 4 pipe cleaners.



Fold in half and twist. Then fan out the ends to look like a starburst.



I put a plastic bag on a hanger and then hung my shirt up. Protected the inside of the shirt and made hanging up to dry a breeze.

I also used plastic bags for my paint. Plates weren't big enough to get my stamp on. The plastic bags made clean-up so easy!



I started with red. Just swirl your stamper around in the paint and press on the shirt. I wasn't too concerned with full coverage. The color imperfect color lines look more like fireworks.



I added colors until I got the effect I wanted. I didn't wait for anything to dry between adding colors. I did red, white, blue, and then the glow in the dark. I did 1 stamp of each color to start, and 2 of the glow in the dark. I went back and did a 2nd stamp of each color, and some more glow in the dark. The glow in the dark paint dries almost clear (a slight greenish tint) so I felt I could add as much as I wanted.




Tadah!!




And it glows, though an awful picture.



So super, easy and they will love wearing them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment